Indigenous Language Articles?

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Thu Aug 7 20:32:07 UTC 2008

Not an article exactly, but for such a course you'll very likely
want a map showing where the languages are. By far the best such map
in my opinion is the one in the back pocket of Volume 17 of the Handbook
of North American Indians, created by Ives Goddard at the Smithsonian.
The map actually comes in two versions. There is a wall-sized version that
is available from Amazon.com. However, that tends to get beat up (I haven't
found a place that can laminate my copy), and students can't really make
out much if you put it up at the front of a classroom. It is also possible
to buy the smaller version of the map that comes with the Handbook, but
Amazon.com and such places appear not to carry the small version. For the
small version, you need to go to the publisher, which is the University of
Nebraska Press. They not only have both versions, but their price for the
wall-sized version was much lower than the price elsewhere the last time
I checked. The small version is cheap enough (around $5.00) that you can
provide one for every student if your class isn't too large.

Bill