[Fwd: [Dakota-net] Tribe Declares State of Emergency]

Mona Smith mona at ALLIESMEDIAART.COM
Wed Aug 13 14:59:03 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Dakota-net] Tribe Declares State of Emergency
Date: 	Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:43:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: 	Tammy DeCoteau <tdc.aaia at verizon.net>
To: 	dakota-net at mail.socsci.umn.edu

Executive Proclamation
Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate
Office of the Tribal Chairman

Whereas, the Tribal Council of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate, by and through its authority vested by the Revised Constitution and By-laws adopted Resolution No. SW-08-079; and

Whereas, by that resolution the Tribal Council of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate Lake Traverse Reservation declared that the Dakota language embodies the life, culture and identity of the Sisseton Wahpeton Oyate and revitalization is paramount to the survival of our Nation; and,

Whereas, the Tribal Council of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate Lake Traverse Reservation recognized the importance of revitalizing the Dakota language and declared that it will be recognized as the first language of the people of the Lake Traverse Reservation and we must eliminate the disparity between the use of English and the Dakota language; and

Whereas, in this year, 2008, from January through this date, nine — and possibly more — of our fluent treasured elders have went on their journey to the spirit world representing a loss to the Oyate of nine percent (9%) of the entire population of our fluent treasured elders:

Now, Therefore, I, Michael I. Selvage Sr., Tribal Chairman of  the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate, do hereby proclaim a Dakota Language Crisis and further declare that the Dakota language is in a state of emergency.

In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate, on the Lake Traverse Reservation, in Agency Village, South Dakota, this 30th day of July, 2008.

/s/Michael I. Selvage Sr., Tribal Chairman

Tammy DeCoteau
AAIA Native Language Program

Mona M Smith
Producer/director/media artist