Athabaskan Practical Alphabet

Joe Scott isitism at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 8 17:12:14 UTC 2008

Greetings,

I hope this is an appropriate forum for my question.

I am working on a school-wide Dee Ni language program at the charter school here in Siletz, Oregon. We use the "practical alphabet" for spelling. (Unlike English, one single letter or combination of two letters corresponds directly to one sound). The curriculum is introduced at the Head Start level, and initial plans are to continue through 5th grade.

At what age/grade level should we introduce the Practical Alphabet? I can't find a definitive answer - perhaps someone here can help.

Joe Scott
Siletz Valley Charter School
Siletz, Oregon