Common ground and the English-only movement (fwd link)

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Mon Dec 8 20:49:35 UTC 2008

Great article...and good writing!
 Colonizers idea of the term assimilation was/is strange.
English,French and Spanish fought against the idea of assimilating
here among the existing aboriginal peoples here on turtle island.
Eastern cities here are remakes of their homes left over seas.

The melting-pot-soup-spill-over from europe to turtle island required
indigenous people to melt into the dominant mess or get out of the way.

Strange, how descendants of "the takers" are calling for "assimilation!"
Once the grip of taking traditional lands relaxed into ownership status,
there arises an attitude ...sounding almost "native"
"why don't these invading aliens assimilate and talk like us?"

why is it hard for people to see the irony in their own hearts?

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte, Oklahoma

--
"if you don't know the language you will only see the surface of the
culture..The language is the heart of the culture and you cannot separate