Speaking out again - in Hopi (fwd link)

Tue Dec 9 15:16:55 UTC 2008

Speaking out again - in Hopi

By: Candace Begody
Tucson, AZ

It was during recess on the playground around the third grade when Sheilah
Nicholas decided to give up her native tongue to fit in with the white kids.

"I remember coming home one day crying," she said. "Some kids had been making of
me because I couldn't speak English right."

Nicholas, an assistant professor for the Department of Language, Reading and
Culture at the University of Arizona's College of Education, grew up on the
Hopi Reservation speaking and hearing nothing but Hopi before moving to a
mission school in Winslow, located in a border town of the Navajo Nation.

Access full article below:
http://media.wildcat.arizona.edu/media/storage/paper997/news/2008/12/09/News/Speaking.Out.Again.In.Hopi-3575427.shtml