language documentation

Claire Bowern clairebowern at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 18 17:12:02 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,
I'm writing an article for the Cambridge Handbook of Language Documentation
on planning a documentation project. I'd be interested in comments from
anyone here about things they wish they'd known when they started (I have a
long list of those...). It's a fairly general article but I'll be
illustrating it from a fair number of projects, I hope. I'd be particularly
interested in stuff that looked promising but which didn't end up working
for various reasons.

Also, I remember a quotation somewhere by David Costa and Daryl Baldwin on
the Miami project that was essentially 'follow your heart', don't get caught
up agonising too much over the right orthography, etc. Does anyone know the
source for this?

Thanks,
Claire