Digital solution to age-old dilemma (fwd link)

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Thu Dec 18 22:11:26 UTC 2008

In addition to this article, on the same page in this morning's herald was
a piece about Philip Parker, whom we'd all remember as the guy who's been
producing heavily substandard dictionaries, thesauruses and crossword
puzzle books without attribution or any information about the language at
all. But I'm not sure it gets the point across right. It also quotes both
Peter Austin and myself.

Puzzled publisher at a loss for words
http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/puzzled-publisher-at-a-loss-for-words/2008/12/18/1229189813966.html

>THE indigenous language fraternity may be small. It may be close to
>extinct. But this week at least it was the mouse that roared, after
>Aboriginal
>language experts stopped a prolific 21st-century publishing phenomenon in
>its tracks.
>
>With more than 100,000 titles listed at the online bookstore amazon.com,
>Philip Parker is, theoretically speaking, the most published author in
>history.
>
>A marketing professor at the INSEAD business school in France, he uses
>patented computer algorithms to copy information online and compile it
>into
>"studies" on niche subjects such as the econometric outlook for bath mats
>in India or web servers in the United States.
>
>The process has seen him labelled a "book spammer" by his critics and a
>luminary by admirers. But it was Professor Parker's hobby that offended
>the
>delicate sensibilities of Aboriginal language experts.

-Aidan

--
Aidan Wilson

The University of Sydney