Overview for Documentation

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Thu Dec 18 21:29:57 UTC 2008

Interesting...my first impression is that this is so "Dell Hymes" in
orientation.   The natural outcome of this is to ask "what to do we
really take grammar to be?"  I am curois why it shold have taken so
long for this semblance of question to emerge.  This sort of steps
outside the view of language as anything below the head.  Too, many
could never surrender their documentary "corpus" and he seems to
channel this deep dilemma pretty well.  It is the defining (pre-)
occupation of the linguist with a purpose.  I take a similar approach
though much more qualitative...thought that is not the word that
really describes it, rather it is more in-depth of the moment of
recording as a form of intervention, capturing a slice of life, etc.,
etc. thnx,
Phil