forum

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Fri Feb 15 03:33:33 UTC 2008

Hi Charles,

You can go here: http://learningforpeople.us/MescChir-English.pdf
This is a nice piece from the actual dictionary, shows the textual rhythms.
All the forms are represented, although not all the individual letters. But
there is enough so that anyone familiar with the issues will understand
completely.

There is a graphic of the little template I made here:
http://learningforpeople.us/FontsForTribes.htm
And, you can download both the template and two fonts, and nicely (I think)
there are instructions for doing both. If you page down a bit, you can see
the template installed in Word, and the way I used colors to separate the
different vowel types.
I made the fonts . . .  :-) Wasn't too hard after I spent a year or so
figuring it all out.

Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Charles Riley
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:55 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] forum

Hi Mia,

It sounds like the glottal examples you describe
would require submitting data to the CLDR project
for the Athapascan locales.  There's a similar
case in Afrikaans, where ['n] sorts independently after z.

Is there a page that shows the desired character
behavior for rising tones over vowels?  I found this page:
http://www.uaf.edu/anlc/orthography.html

Under the Gwich'in section, the image link that
would display some of the nasalized vowels is
broken.  Is the rendering for the low tones acceptable?

Chuck Riley

Charles L. Riley,
Catalog Librarian,
Africana Project