forum

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Fri Feb 15 03:47:18 UTC 2008

Aloha Mia. I don't know if the language scripts in Unicode have
anything to do with sorting routines. When we worked with Apple to get
the Hawaiian keyboard into OS X back in 1991 or 1992, we provided them
with our preferred sort order (vowels, Hawaiian consonants with the
glottal last among those, then the borrowed consonants). We also had
to define the vowel-macrons as a secondary sort, so that if there were
(and there are) words that differ only based on the presence of a
macron over a vowel, the word with non-macron is first, then the
macron vowel.

It took us several years of lobbying and it was only a chance meeting
of a friend of mine who works at Apple's headquarters with some Apple
system engineers that led to us getting Hawaiian support in OS X. They
have since added may more languages. So we have the Hawaiian keyboard,
a Hawaiian locale (which enables us to create localizations of OS X
applications and have them automatically displayed if there is a
localization available), as well as the custom sort routines and
localized date and time strings.

When we created our HI fonts in the early 1990s, spell-checkers were
also an issue. That is why we replaced the y-umlaut character ( ÿ )
with the glottal (‘) and replaced the vowel - umlaut combinations with
the vowel macrons. In the case of the ÿ, it also had the advantage of
allowing us to sort properly (in most cases). Back then ClarisWorks
and Word did not accept punctuation marks and other symbols within
words, so we had to find a way to make it work, and settled on ÿ.

Office for Vista now handles custom spell-check documents with in
Unicode fine. Office for XP and Office for Mac 2004 did not, which was
an issue. I have not yet received a copy of Office 2008 for Mac so
don't know if it can use spell-check documents formated in Unicode
yet. We are working on such a document right now. At some point I'll
have a single document that can spell-check both documents typed in
our old HI font system as well as Unicode. I'll be a happy man on that
day. ;-)

I'll look into the other Unicode glottal characters, perhaps someone
here is more familiar with them than I. To be honest, I somewhat
regret our decision to use the non-breaking character because it is
available in so few fonts, however, that it was the one I was
encouraged to use by people who knew better than I.

We're in a very strange transitional place right now in our adaptation
of Unicode. Because of one particular application that we depend
heavily upon, we have not been able to completely abandon our old
custom fonts and go to Unicode. I'm hoping to have that issue taken
care of by this summer.

I'll get back to you on the other glottal character(s).

Hope this help! Feel free to email if I can be of any other assistance.

Keola

On 15 Pep. 2008, at 4:26 PM, Mia Kalish wrote:

> Yes, this is exactly what I mean. I’m not familiar with U+02BB.
> Hyphenation is not an issue in Athapascan; I don’t think I have ever
> seen anything hyphenated. But, the glottal has to sort first, before
> the vowels it affects, ‘a is a typical form and is actually the most
> common glottalization of leading vowels, although other vowels are
> glottalized in the same way.
>
> Also, since we don’t have Athapascan language and grammar, we have
> to use English, so we have to fool English into thinking the
> characters we are typing actually belong to it so we can use spell-
> check.
>
> How do you do this in Hawaiian? I just looked at my language options
> for Word, and Hawaiian is a recognized language, We don’t have this
> luxury, and although there is now a language code for NAV and APA,
> there are differences in the 6 Apaches, and only one language code.
> Sigh. People are so stingy, aren’t they?

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.