forum

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Fri Feb 15 04:05:00 UTC 2008

You know what? (Of course you don’t that was So Rhetorical). . . but here’s
what:

If you own the font, you can modify it. So if you have a pile of fonts for
the University, you can change them yourself . . . or have a friend to it
for you (You have such a friend). That way, you can have the special
character in a pile of fonts.

I imagine there is a way around this for others, because the Intellectual
Property rules restrict distribution of fonts to people who don’t own them.
It doesn’t say that if you own the font, you and your friends can’t modify
it. The rule is that you can modify it for your own use.

I haven’t played with the scripting in Unicode, because the characters are
all individually coded with their unique numbers. Three character
compositions have 3 sequential 4-byte codes (I think), and possibly a
compositing instruction code. That means that if you are manually coding
Unicode, the sequence in which you specify the characters matters, with the
obvious results if people choose sequences randomly, thinking that the
appearance of the character is what is important.

You description sounds like the fonts were manually coded. Characters sort
by their internal number; when you specified your preferred sort sequence,
whoever was helping recoded the glyphs so they would sort in the specified
order. Locales, lucky people <:-)> People don’t notice localization because
they don’t have to live without it.

I don’t have Vista, although the changes sound intriguing. As for
OneSpellCheck fits OldAndNew . . . the internal codes are different. The
simplest approach is to have a utility that converts one to the other . . .
this means that the utility has to tiptoe through Word codes, changing only
the appropriate font codes. This is not overly difficult for a programmer,
but is definitely non-trivial for many. Our problem in Athapascan with “old
fonts” is that people replaced the Number sequence with the special vowels
and characters. Can you see what an amazing nightmare that is for sorting,
searching, databases? Aaaargh. But then, it was all people seemed to know
how to do.

I took particular delight in “stepping on” characters that were not used in
either English or Athapascan to create my fonts. It horrified the Unicode
people, which, considering their complete non-responsiveness to Apachean
issues, made my little techie heart day. (I’m so bad.)

I’m interested in your issues with your ancient program . . .

And thanks, I’m sure this discussion is or will be useful for lots of
people.

Going out into the Tsaile AZ mountain snow, now coming down in huge clots.

Best always,

Mia

  _____