traditions of assimilation...

M. Paul Lewis Paul_Lewis at SIL.ORG
Thu Feb 21 16:59:06 UTC 2008

No one can deny that pre-colonial and colonial contact between different
languages and cultures was and still is, in many cases, disastrous.  I
think the evidence is there, however, that this isn't only the result of
Christian ideology/theology but rather a more generalized phenomenon
related to ethnocentrism and power-based domination.  While one
contributor to this list categorized that in terms of "conservatism", I
think it is equally a danger for those with less than conservative
ideologies as well. The intolerance of intolerance is just as powerfully
dominating as the intolerance of anything else. Whether the "other"
less-powerful group is categorized in theological terms (sinful) or
socioeconomic terms (primitive, undeveloped, backwards, etc.) the same
dynamics of power and domination are at work.

I think the categorization of missionaries presented here, while in many
details accurate, represents an earlier age of Christian mission, and is
analogous in some ways to categorizing all modern Englishmen as slave
traders because of the history of English slave trading. At some point, we
have to learn from that history and move on. Even so, the missionary
arrival in Hawaii is not entirely typical of all missionizing activity and
presence in India, for example, is characterized by missionaries standing
against the exploitive and racist agendas of the British trading companies
in defense of the local peoples, languages, and cultures. More language
description and literature development was carried out at the hands of
missionaries there than by any secular/commercial agencies of the time,
and a great deal of the diversity of South Asia was preserved as a
consequence.

Most (certainly not all) modern-day missionaries have learned from the
past and are making strenuous efforts to be more sensitive to issues of
language and culture. There's been a lot of theologizing about diversity
going on in the Christian community and even many so-called
"fundamentalists" now recognize as biblical an appreciation and
celebration of diversity of languages and cultures. The data just shared
regarding how the last bastions of language use in many threatened
communities are among the Christians of those communities bears witness to
the high regard given to all languages and cultures within Christian
theologizing (if not always in practice - Christian theology also points
out that "sinfulness" is not solely a property of the powerless or the
powerful but of us all).

One significant issue raised in this discussion that merits much longer
discussion is how minoritized language communities negotiate the
maintenance of their traditional heritage (identity, language, culture,
knowledge) and the integration of outside identities, languages, cultures,
and knowledges.  Paralleling in many ways the issues of
bilingual/multilingual/intercultural education, such a discussion would
consider how a heritage identity (and its associated language, cultural
traits, and knowledge-bases) can be retained and honored while at the same
time outside identity and its accompanying knowledge can be incorporated
and integrated.  Does a modern day Native American have to give up the
heritage language in order to learn (and be educated in) a national
language? Similarly, then, how can outside ideas be acquired without
necessarily discarding heritage perspectives? Can those differing
perspectives be integrated?  Will they be hybridized (combined in some
way)?  Will they simply co-exist side-by-side in some sort of tension? Can
traditional healing measures be practiced alongside vaccinations and
antibiotic therapies?  Integrated into those therapies? Be replaced by
those therapies?

I'd suggest that a careful examination of some of those Native American
Christian communities might provide some insights on this topic both
through the sad examples of heritage abandonment/replacement and, more
helpfully, through examples of integration, hybridization, and addition.

With regards,

Paul Lewis

*****************
M. Paul Lewis, PhD.
Editor, Ethnologue / International Sociolinguistics Consultant
SIL International
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd.
Dallas, TX 75236

Voice: (972) 708-7521
Fax: (972) 708-7589
Cell: (817) 703-8361

rrlapier at AOL.COM
Sent by: Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>
02/21/2008 09:37 AM
Please respond to
Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>

ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ILAT] traditions of assimilation...

I do not have time to discuss this in full right now. But it has been our
experience (at Piegan Institute) that within our community the last
stronghold of first language speakers is among the fundamentalist
Christians (holy rollers) and Catholic communities. Why? I could provide a
long historical answer. But I won't right now.

However, individuals from these communities have been the most helpful in
revitalizing the Blackfeet language, working with our children, recording
old stories, translating for us, etc.

So the opposite is true in our community. It is within the devout
Christian sects that the Blackfeet language continues and does not have an
assimilationist agenda.

Each Indian community has its own unique history.

Rosalyn LaPier