traditions of assimilation...

Richard Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Tue Feb 26 18:10:51 UTC 2008

Hi Mia,
thanks for the comments and for your view on these things.
Its not easy but i've been trying my hardest to NOT see things as "good and
bad" but trying to understand what happens when different ideologies and
different beliefs strike sparks against one another.

I've seen "ugly" there on the Navajo Rez too, and in Bluff and Blanding.
But i've also known Mormons like Bruce McGee who
grew up around Pinion and Keams Canyon, his father fluent in Navajo
as a trader. Bruce( a bishop) has dedicated his life to helping Native
Artists get recognition to make a living as artists and he works now at the
Heard Museum in Phoenix. Also Leroy Garcia (a bishop) of Santa Fe who
own and operate Blue Rain Gallery, who spends his life promoting
us artists sparing no expense and always celebrating native cultures.

So i'm choosing to view the "sparks" that fly ...carefully
But I WILL stand alongside people I see being abused.
I've had to do a little "calm mediation" between strangers when i see
women being mistreated by "boyfriends"....several times.
My experience is  that a calm-strong stand by a womans side can unnerve
a verbal abuser , allowing him to hear how foolish he sounds
when he is  "the sound of only one voice yelling"

Calm can do amazing things in volatile situations
(actually I was calmly prepared to kick out the guys knee)
When we look into paths of rebuilding,rekindling....and revitalization,
we can choose to look at a ruin as a sad wreck or a monument.

But whatever, rebuilding is still hard work!

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte, Oklahoma