forum

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Thu Feb 28 23:02:57 UTC 2008

Thanks, Bill, but I don't need to do it right now.
I would need to look at how we would actually input the Uni-codes. People
who are writing are very familiar with the UC formats, and know exactly the
combinations they are using to represent different characters.
But all these people are technically adroit in some substantial way . . .
I haven't looked at UC in a few years, except for noting that a recent
implementation for one of Learning Management System functions didn't work
100%. It was a dotted vs. dotless i issue, and some issues with the glottal.

Gotta run, class in an hour and a half. Food needed :-)
Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of William J Poser
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:47 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] forum

Mia,

I can provide a C program for Unicode normalization if you prefer,
calling either of a couple of libraries. But almost any Unix
machine would have Perl or Python installed, so need to mess
with compiling Java or C.

You shouldn't really need to use such separate normalization programs.
I don't know what you use for sorting, but a good Unicode sort
program should have normalization built in.

Bill