forum

Slavomír Čéplö bulbulthegreat at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 29 00:48:24 UTC 2008

Actually, it is more likely that this "ogonek" comes from Polish where
"ogon" means "tail" and "-ek" is the diminutive suffixe, hence
"ogonek" = "little tail" as featured in Polish letters Ąą and Ęę.
The Russian "ogonek" (written огонёк and pronounced [ɐgɐ'nʲok]) is
derived from "ogon" (огонь [ɐg'onʲ]) meaning "fire".
And it would appear the newspaper still exists http://www.ogoniok.com/ :)

bulbul