Indigenous languages and instant messaging

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Thu Jan 24 21:56:48 UTC 2008

I've been doing UTF-8 in Hawaiian with friends and colleagues for a
few years using a couple different Mac Clients - iChat, Yahoo and
Adium with no problems. Haven't tested with anyone on the Win side,
but would be happy to if someone would like to try. Have also been
doing it in Twitter and Jaiku and people on the Win side they can see
the Hawaiian as well.

Keola

On 25 Ian. 2008, at 10:50 AM, phil cash cash wrote:

> I regulary write emails in Nez Perce both to individuals and to my
> <nezperce-l> listserv.  The only drawback is how to use the ascii
> character set to represent NP.  I assume it would present the same
> problem in IM even when there is an even more restricted character
> set.  Nice idea...I will have to find somebody to text with and give
> it a try.

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.