'the linguists'

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 27 14:21:46 UTC 2008

Basically, I was told, that the most interesting segments (to the targeted
PBS) involved David Harrison and Greg (whose last name
I can't remember)....A decision was made to focus more on them and their
adventures in identifying endangered languages --
a little 'Indiana Jones' -like.  Linguists themselves might object to this
image (I think I saw a mention of that on Jane Simpson's blog)...and most in
the linguistics community still favor the title, "The Last Speakers" --
However, getting attention of the general public is a different thing -- and
I do think we should all be grateful that awareness for endangered languages
will no doubt be raised.

It is also possible that the movie, "The Last Speakers" ...will still be
produced  for educational purposes -- a different venue than actual PBS
productions. This version will be a  more realistic and include additional
footage with speakers.

That is all I know at this point...
S.

On Jan 26, 2008 9:39 PM, Claire Bowern <anggarrgoon at gmail.com> wrote:

> does anyone know why the name of the film was changed?
> Claire
>
> Susan Penfield wrote:
> > I agree...Let's hope more of these types of films start to surface at
> > places like Sundance.
> >
> > A footnote about 'The Linguists': -- the film makers (Ironbound Films)
> > included a wonderful section in the film with Johnny Hill, Jr
> > (Chemehuevi from Parker, Arizona) and paid for Johnny to attend Sundance
> > last week. I just got a call from Johnny about it all -- He had a great
> > time and really welcomed all the press attention he got. He is a
> > wonderful ambassador for many 'last speakers' (as the film was
> > originally called) and got front page news in some of the local papers
> > (at Sundance)...as well as radio interviews while he was there. He was
> > most touched by some comments from  the other native people who were
> > attending and who made contact with him after his public interviews.
> >
> > I think all public attention for the plight of endangered languages is
> > important as raising awareness is part of the much needed work of
> > 'language activists' ====and film is a bold and very expressive way to
> > reach a broader audience.
> >
> > Susan

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Department of English (Primary)
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
Second Language Acquisition & Teaching Ph.D. Program (SLAT)
Department of Language,Reading and Culture
Department of Linguistics
The Southwest Center (Research)
Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836

"Every language is an old-growth forest of the mind, a watershed of thought,
an ecosystem of spiritual possibilities."

                                                         Wade Davis...(on a
Starbucks cup...)