'the linguists'

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 27 15:31:29 UTC 2008

Thanks for this...I know both Greg and David...and agree with you!
Their energy is something we should all welcome!
S.

On Jan 27, 2008 10:09 AM, Richard Smith <rzs at wildblue.net> wrote:

> Hey Susan,
> Greg Anderson came out to Wyandotte OK recently to speak with tribal reps.
> who might want Living Tongues help save languages.
>
> I was gabbing in the office with tribal members i hadn't seen in awhile
> and i kept wondering when DR. Greg Anderson was going to arrive.
> Someone was on the phone in the office so i wandered in the hall
> to scan the parking lot and i walked past a young local guy sitting there
> .
> I went outside and this "local guy" walks up behind me and introduces
> himself as Greg Anderson!
> HA! so much for my sterotypes of DRs of linguistics!
> We had a great time sharing and his passion is genuine and his
> conversation
> over lunch kept drifting to villages in upper Siberia,
> where he spent an entire year...often....just staying alive.
>
> Scholars can snivel about these guys as Indiana Jones image
> types.....well, it might be a little over dramatic,
> but it ain't far off!
>
> Richard Zane Smith
> Wyandotte Oklahoma
>

> On 1/27/08 6:21 AM, "Susan Penfield" <susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>   Basically, I was told, that the most interesting segments (to the
> targeted PBS) involved David Harrison and Greg (whose last name
> I can't remember)....A decision was made to focus more on them and their
> adventures in identifying endangered languages --
> a little 'Indiana Jones' -like.  Linguists themselves might object to this
> image (I think I saw a mention of that on Jane Simpson's blog)...and most in
> the linguistics community still favor the title, "The Last Speakers" --
> However, getting attention of the general public is a different thing -- and
> I do think we should all be grateful that awareness for endangered languages
> will no doubt be raised.
>
> It is also possible that the movie, "The Last Speakers" ...will still be
> produced  for educational purposes -- a different venue than actual PBS
> productions. This version will be a  more realistic and include additional
> footage with speakers.
>
> That is all I know at this point...
> S.
>

> On Jan 26, 2008 9:39 PM, Claire Bowern <anggarrgoon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> does anyone know why the name of the film was changed?
> Claire
>
> Susan Penfield wrote:
> > I agree...Let's hope more of these types of films start to surface at
> > places like Sundance.
> >
> > A footnote about 'The Linguists': -- the film makers (Ironbound Films)
> > included a wonderful section in the film with Johnny Hill, Jr
> > (Chemehuevi from Parker, Arizona) and paid for Johnny to attend Sundance
> > last week. I just got a call from Johnny about it all -- He had a great
> > time and really welcomed all the press attention he got. He is a
> > wonderful ambassador for many 'last speakers' (as the film was
> [...]

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Department of English (Primary)
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
Second Language Acquisition & Teaching Ph.D. Program (SLAT)
Department of Language,Reading and Culture
Department of Linguistics
The Southwest Center (Research)
Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836

"Every language is an old-growth forest of the mind, a watershed of thought,
an ecosystem of spiritual possibilities."

                                                         Wade Davis...(on a
Starbucks cup...)