'the linguists'

Richard Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Mon Jan 28 02:53:43 UTC 2008

Hi Claire,

sorry    I meant no disrespect to those critical of the film.
I haven't even seen any clips from the film,
just reporting my own impressions of my meeting with Greg.
I am an artist volunteering in a public school and teaching basic Wyandot
language to a few hundred children ( k-4th)
Often i feel it is a miracle to be doing this...what an honor.
and yet even as a tribal member,
I am also isolated and often wonder if what i'm doing is even relevant.
 Joining this egroup and also meeting people on adventures makes me feel i'm
on a worthwhile adventure myself knowing there are similar efforts
all over the world....like i'm an invisible member of some valuable team.
so...
I hope the film really awakens alot of viewers to the incredible importance
of saving our indigenous languages. If it can draw people in through some
excitement and "discovery"   ...well...who knows?

(and i apologize for using the word "snivel".... that just wasn't nice)
take care,   and ....watch out for those crocodiles!

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte Oklahoma