'the linguists'

Claire Bowern anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 28 03:44:04 UTC 2008

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your email. I agree! I still can't quite believe even after
all these years that I get employed to do this sort of work!
Actually, your story is a good example of why I'm not a fan of Indiana
Jones fieldwork. In many ways academic linguists have it really easy. We
get to choose where we work and who to work with, someone pays us to go
somewhere really neat to hang out with great people to learn really
fantastically wonderful languages, and then we go back to our
heated/airconditioned offices and think about it for a while... and if
it doesn't work out we don't need to go back and we're usually not there
for all that long so if it's tough it's at least finite, and we can
usually get out fairly quickly if something goes wrong.
But that won't 'save' a language: in the end the language will continue
because of the work that you and your colleagues do, and that should get
more publicity and support. I am uneasy about the rhetoric of the
academic linguist going in to a community to 'save' a language, when the
real people who save the language are the people who speak it with their
kids.
Claire