spontaneous acquisition

Linda Lanz lanz at RICE.EDU
Mon Jan 28 22:35:15 UTC 2008

Hi Phil,

I've heard the same sentiment from Iñupiaq speakers. One of them, an
Iñupiaq teacher and fluent speaker in her 50s or 60s, told me that
she didn't speak Iñupiaq until she was 20. She said she's not worried
about the future of Iñupiaq because she knows that one day when they
need it, Iñupiat children (by then grown into adults) will just start
speaking it. Of course, the situation is different, because she was
surrounded by adults speaking Iñupiaq, whereas these kids are
surrounded by English, but she's certain that the language will be
there when needed.

There are also quite a few anecdotes about spontaneous acquisition in
Australian communities. I'm out in the field at the moment, so I
can't dig up the article names at the moment, but I recall reading
several articles about spontaneous and/or rapid adult acquisition of
various indigenous Australian languages. For example, elderly parents
of non-speakers who weren't worried about their children learning
their language because they themselves hadn't picked it up until they
were middle-aged. In many cases, the idea that they'd teach their
children "when they're ready for it" was strong. All of this was also
intricately connected to issues of language ownership, especially in
areas where it's normal for people to speak 4-5 languages and the
"native" one might not be the first one a person learns.

Regards,
Linda L.

Linda Lanz
Dept. of Linguistics