sovereign language

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sat Jul 26 17:50:16 UTC 2008

Richard Lafortune writes:

>what the court decision uses for an unspoken framework
>of thought is the assimilationist (genocidal)
>imperative and logic of inevitability that Yupik will
>no longer be a viable language in the post modern future.
>This is a faulty, racist and unhelpful model of
>thought for all humans.

I am curious as to where you see this in Judge Burgess
decision. I don't see anything of the kind. He says nothing
at all about the viability of Yup'ik or its suitability
for any purpose. He says nothing about the virtue or vice
of literacy. All that he says is that on the evidence available
to him there is not a well established tradition of literacy
in Yup'ik and therefore the Voting Rights Act requires the
provision of voting assistance in oral but not written form.
I think you're reading in all sorts of things that aren't there.
That is not helpful because it makes you see the enemy where he is
not, and when you see the enemy where he is not, you can't see him
where he is.

Bill