LexiquePro

Racquel ryamada at UOREGON.EDU
Wed Jun 4 01:05:40 UTC 2008

Hi Ted,
I've struggled with something similar regarding conjugations.  I ended up with two lexical databases in Toolbox--one for parsing and one lexicon.  The parsing database has a line with a full word (like your /wikn/), then a line with the separate morphemes for parsing (/wik- -n/).  Before I brought them into LexiquePro, I merged the two databases.  So, in LexiquePro, a person could look up /wikn/ and see a gloss 'I saw him/her/it' with a cross-reference to /wik-/ and /-n/ (which also have their own entries).  I also have a reverse lookup line based on the root so that when someone's looking it up in English (or, in my case, Sranan Tongo), they'll look under 'see' to find /wikn/, not 'I saw h/h/i' or 1S.

Does that make sense?  I'll be interested in other responses, as this has been a struggle for me, too.

Best,
Racquel

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 17:21:21 -0600, Ted Moomaw <ted.moomaw at COLVILLETRIBES.COM> wrote:

> I have been working w/Lexique pro for about three
months now,  I am wondering from those who have utilized it to  its full potential,
do students refer to it often?

> Mine has not yet been distributed, and I am wondering
what your experiences have been with others using it.

> I  originally started working w/Toolbox,  and I
was not adding conjugations as seperate entries and when I transfered everything
to LP I have been adding them in seperately,  is that something not
typically done? It seems logical?  example; I was entering  (wik-
the root for see, and  -n  subject marker for 1s,)  rather than
what I now am also entering (wik-n  I saw him/her or it.) as a seperate
entry.

> As you can probably recognize I am not an accredited
linguist, rather a lover of my own Language, and I want to utilize these
programs the most effecient way possible that others may benefit.

--
Graduate Assistant
Department of Linguistics
e-mail: ryamada at uoregon.edu