Linda Grover: Learning to speak Ojibwe (fwd link)

Fri Mar 21 20:43:39 UTC 2008

Linda Grover: Learning to speak Ojibwe

Linda LeGarde Grover Budgeteer News
Published Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Linda LeGarde Grover is a professor of American Indian Studies at the University
of Minnesota Duluth, and a member of the Bois Forte Band of the Minnesota
Chippewa Tribe. Grover writes once a month for the Budgeteer.

Here in Onigamiising, we are in the middle of the great Ojibwe Nation, which
includes northern Minnesota and Wisconsin, upper Michigan, large areas of
Canada north of us and some areas of North Dakota and Montana. Anishinaabeg
have lived here for many, many generations. Up until my grandparents’
generation, everyone spoke our native language, which is “Ojibwemowin” or
“Anishinaabemowin.”

Although the learning and use of Ojibwemowin has grown somewhat in the past 20
years, few of us today are fluent — or even semi-fluent — speakers. We would
all like to be; we admire those who are. It is a beautiful language, and
precious to us.

Full article link below:
http://www.duluthbudgeteer.com/articles/index.cfm?id=21844