re SIL

Ackerman, Ilse iackerman at ROSETTASTONE.COM
Wed May 7 19:31:03 UTC 2008

I saw a variant of this on an email that was circulating five years ago.
The email was an argument for immigrants to the U.S. to learn English.
The final clincher statement was "If English was good enough for the
Bible, it's good enough for the rest of us!"

~ i

Ilse Ackerman

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology
[mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of Scott DeLancey
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 3:17 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] re SIL

> Love it!  I may have to use that quote.  Do you have the actual
source?

> S/he deserves to be quoted.

This story has been around all my life (which is getting to be

quite awhile), and probably longer--I can certainly remember

hearing it in junior high school.  It gets quoted a lot, I'll

bet you can find thousands of instances on google.  You'll find

it attributed to all kinds of folks--usually small-town ministers

or state legislators in one of those states that the rest of us

like to make fun of.  There might actually be a true source, way

back in the dim past, but I kind of doubt it, it has a pretty

apocryphal odor about it.

Scott DeLancey

> :-)

> Carol

Yeshua)

>> surrounded by the earths laughing children of every ethnicity is

>> ...amazing

> I've always liked the statement by a particularly ignorant
English-only