build a font for your endangered language...

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri May 16 19:38:30 UTC 2008

Christopher Doty writes:
>Having resources like these to build a font can be extremely valuable.
>However, keep in mind that any font developed using this systems is
>going to be VERY limited.  You're not going to be able to send emails
>in the language, or use other forms of technology very easily.

I'm not sure why you say this.

If you generate a Truetype or Opentype font, it will be usable on
virtually any computer. The thing to avoid is using non-standard
encodings. If you use a Unicode encoding, then just about any
reasonably modern software, including email software and web browsers,
will be able to use the font.

It is true, of course, that people will need to download and install
your font in order to use it. The problem of people not knowing
how to do this can be overcome by providing or linking to clear
instructions on font installation for the various operating systems.
It isn't that difficult on any of the systems I am familiar with.
The difficulty that is harder to overcome is that some people may
not have control over the machines they use at work and may be
unable to install fonts even if they know how.

Bill