build a font for your endangered language...

Christopher Doty suomichris at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 16 19:52:03 UTC 2008

The problem is that there are lots of venues where a font simply CAN'T
be installed (cell phones, webmail applications, and blogging
platforms come immediately to mind), as well as public computers, as
you noted.  Developing a font that can't be used in these areas
inherently limits the use of the language, excluding it from use in
many modern contexts which lots of us, especially kids, use on a daily
basis and as our main means of communicating with friends, family, and
colleagues.  This exclusion can reinforce the idea that the language
is something old, historical, out-of-date, that belongs solely in the
past, instead of a vibrant, living entity.

Chris