build a font for your endangered language...

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 17 02:29:57 UTC 2008

Taanshi all,

Actually, what I was hoping for was an <n> with a </> right through it.

Over twenty years ago (to be sure), an Elder from the Turtle Mountain
Reservation in North Dakota published a few resources using a character like
this.  From what I can tell, the backslash was added after the fact.  The
special 'n' was used as a character to mark nasalization of the vowel(s
immediately  before it.

Now, I realize that a tilde over a vowel is what is normally used.  However,
since Michif has quite a few French-origin elements (+/-50%?), many of our
Elders were (still are?) multilingual and familiar with French-spellings,
and many learners in Canada (at least) rely on French dictionaries to guess
at the meaning of some French-origin words,  a character like this could
help quite a few people recognize Michif cognates of French words.

One orthography we are presently using a modified  double-vowel system which
includes an n with a tilde over it to mark nasalization.  It  works quite
well but we had really wanted an <n> with a </> through it to mark the nasal
vowels in both French-origin and Cree-origin elements.  (Yes, we have nasal
vowels in Cree-origin elements of (almost ?)all  dialects of Michif!  Our
language is, in so many ways,  blend doing things that are not normally done
in its languages of origin!)

Anyhow, that is the story behind my desire to have this new character....

Kihchi-maarsii pur kakiyaw tii ziidii!

Eekoshi pitamaa.

Heather

PS: How do I get a tilde over an <n> when writing emails using a PC.  I can
do this on my MAC but haven't figured out how to do this on a PC....