on translation

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Tue Sep 30 17:55:56 UTC 2008

I'm not sure that I can agree with Phil's statement that native writers
are to be found in "almost every community". My impression is that they
are unfortunately not so common. If I think of the communities I am most
familiar with, there aren't an awful lot of them. In part this may be because
so much emphasis has gone into the production of elementary teaching materials.

One interesting example is Dr. William Jones, a Fox man educated at Harvard
who received his Ph.D. in anthropology from Franz Boas. He produced a large
collection of Fox text while also doing other anthropological work, both
on Algonquian and on other topics. He was killed while doing fieldwork among
the Ilongot in the Phillipines in 1909.

Bill