voice recorder

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Thu Apr 16 10:30:53 UTC 2009

Aidan Wilson sent me this message about how to get hold of the Zoom H4N. I
think it was intended for the whole list.

I wasn't aware that there was a difference of a few hundred dollars (which
would apply in either AUS or US, I suppose!) between the H4 and the H4N. If
so, and if budgets are constrained (when are they not?), then it might not
be worth buying an H4N until they come down in price. But I do hold to my
view that, for the fieldworker who wants a machine that is easy to handle
in the field and produces recordings of excellent quality (for fieldwork
recordings), the H4N is an improvement over the H4.

Damien

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 20:22:31 +1000
From: Aidan Wilson <aidan at usyd.edu.au>
To: djh514 at york.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [ILAT] voice recorder

I've seen it around a few places online now in the high 800s Australian,
and, you know, we usually get ripped off, so you could probably find it
in the US for about 400 bucks. Obviously don't take my word for it though.

The benefits over the H4 aren't terribly clear to me, or more
accurately, I can't see that they're worth the extra few hundred bucks,
apart from the slightly more sophisticated preamps and directional x/y mics.

-Aidan
Paradisec