media instruction for Indigenous youth

Gross, Joan jgross at OREGONSTATE.EDU
Sun Apr 19 21:15:06 UTC 2009

I would check with the Digital Storytelling group out of KQED, San Francisco.

Joan

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology on behalf of Paula Meyer
Sent: Sun 4/19/2009 2:02 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] media instruction for Indigenous youth

Does anyone know of (free) media-use instruction for Indigenous youth?  The young people in question are in Baja California, Mexico, on the border with San Diego.  They are trying to document their heritage language and culture, but they need (professional) instruction.  They have a Sony video camera, which they have been using.  However, the results are less than great because they have never been given any direction on how to use it.   These teenagers also have a tape recorder, and they are about to have access to a digital voice recorder, which I think I can teach them how to use, but professional direction would be better.  Does anyone know of monetary support for the equipment or supplies?
Paula