Siraya update

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Thu Apr 23 22:18:01 UTC 2009

Indeed, some of the problems in translation are unfathomable and some
ridiculous.... For example: We come across the phrase 'Mother Earth' all
the time. It works in English and possibly other languages also but not
in Anishnabehmowin. Here's how it comes across...mother is ndodo - my
breast(tit) and earth is aki - earth. The two combined, literally, say
'tit earth' Our mother 'is' our breast not our earth.... And the beat
goes on but in two different directions. The educational institutions
don't really give a damn about language instruction or retention or
recovery so long as the courses have strange words and pronunciations
and puts them into the dollars.

Last evening, my step granddaughter was working on a paste up for her
homework. I asked what she was doing and she told me she needed to do
the paste up and then put the names of what she had pasted up in
OjiCree. The idea floored me. OjiCree is a combination of
Ojibway(Anishnabehmowin) and Cree(Mushkeegomowin). My granddaughter is
Anishinabeh mentally, linguistically, culturally and geographically
removed from OjiCree dialect, the idea of it being taught in schools in
our area is absolutely ridiculous. None of the speakers of the local
dialect would be able to speak with her or could they understand each
other. It is wasted time, money, space, resources, hope and human
potential, and is actually insulting in its level of ignorance(lack of
knowledge) of the people they are supposedly representing or trying to
save perhaps.

Give our communities that same opportunity to do the job right...no way.
We are not educated enough, smart enough, aggressive enough,
cosmopolitan enough and definitely not certified enough.

Dang, I guess I should never have started on this.... Here in my
Mother's community, mahjon = go away. In the community I was born it
means 'come here'.... Subtle, but we need to know this if any
language/culture program is to be successful. In another community their
word for 'horse' is our word for 'a big dog'....

-------
wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon