Humorous word choices

Nahed Johnspoon sikozujohnson at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 23 22:10:35 UTC 2009

"William J Poser wrote: I've encountered things like this even as
generational differences."

This is definitely an issue. I mistakenly used the verb nika7a in my
Arabic class, which is in the canonical dictionary as "to marry" and
still used in very old documents, which is what I am familiar with.

Unfortunately, it now means "to deflower the bride"; tazawwaja "to
mutually cause to pair up" is now standard for marry. Plus I mentioned
Madonna's obsession with "qabbalah" in the next sentence, which sent
him over the edge in giggles as it means "snogging, making out".

That was a fine day in class indeed.

- Anna Johnson