Speakers try to keep rare language alive (fwd link)

Fri Apr 24 23:21:24 UTC 2009

Friday, April 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Speakers try to keep rare language alive

The deaths of 11 elders of the Kalispel Tribe within three months of each other
caused members to worry about the survival of their native language.
SPOKANE, Wash. —

The deaths of 11 elders of the Kalispel Tribe within three months of each other
caused members to worry about the survival of their native language.

"It is said if we lose our language we are not going to be a tribe anymore,"
said Francis Cullooyah, one of more than 64 speakers of Southern Interior
Salish who gathered for a language summit at Spokane Falls Community College
this week.

Access full article below:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009116471_apwasavingsalish1stldwritethru.html