Request for info from/about indigenous groups that have/have had good relationship with linguists

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Wed Apr 29 09:32:06 UTC 2009

Heather -

'Taanshi all?

Kihchi-marsii por lii zistwer!  Thank you so much for the stories!
Please keep them coming!  Even if our politicians don't in the end
appreciate them, they are doing my heart much good....'

Good! Well, in that case, I would definitely recommend you read Bob Dixon's
book, the one I recommended yesterday:

Dixon, RMW. 1983. Searching for Aboriginal Languages. Various edns and
publishers, hardback and paperback.

A heart-warming book-length treatment of a really good relationship between
linguist and people.

It's about six years since I read the book, but I don't recall any mention
of religion in it, so you needn't worry about that clouding the issue in
the case you are trying to make with your Minister. AFAIR, Bob is just a
linguistic anthropologist trying to get linguistic knowledge (and
succeeding: what is as far as I know the authoritative book on Australian
languages as an area, published by Cambridge UP, is by him). The story told
by Ted Moomaw (I think it was), from WA, about the indispensibility of the
linguist his people are working with, very much reminded me of Bob's
stories.

Boujou, et du muus pou' les uus!

Damien Hall

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK