Google in Hawaiian now available (fwd)

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Wed Aug 12 23:04:16 UTC 2009

Aloha e Te Taka, and mahalo to you for your kokua and guidance in
bringing this to fruition.

At this point the Hawaiian link is not available yet, we're waiting
for the Google engineers to activate that. The reason for pushing the
newspaper articles out was that because of the tight integration of
Safari with Mac OS, some Safari users who had chosen Hawaiian as their
primary language in OS X (under the language preferences) were already
seeing the Hawaiian interface! This was a surprise to me and those who
saw it. One person actually (jokingly, I hope) emailed and asked if I
had hacked his computer and caused Google to show in Hawaiian. So for
that reason we went ahead and announced it, explaining that the option
of choosing the Hawaiian interface would be available to uses of other
browsers and platforms soon.

Feedback has so far been positive. I've told people how to set their
language preferences and so far no problems. Will report as further
deployment happens.

Mahalo again,

Keola

Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu