Lawmakers: Exempt Native youth from English learner program

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 19 00:23:38 UTC 2009

First, sorry to people who thread their emails, as this won't come up
under the same thread; I inadvertently deleted the original posting before
replying, and starting a 'new' thread screws with the message headers
apparently.

Anyway, I'm a little dubious about this. I mean, whenever we hear about
someone pushing English-only we go on about the ubiquity of
multilingualism, and that speaking only one language is by far a rare
thing on this planet, and as a corollary, children are entirely
well-equipped to learn several languages without any of them impeding the
others.

On the other hand, this move by these lawmakers is in response to some law
saying that kids who don't have a good enough proficiency in English are
basically forced to spend 4 hours a day using only English. These
effectively English-only models are obviously to be avoided, but aren't
these lawmakers just doing the same in the reverse direction? Not that I'd
have a problem with it given the potential benefit to the language(s), but
it seems to undermine our collective arguing for bilingual education as
the best tool to ameliorate literacy in both L1 and L2.

Above all though, it's brilliant that indigenous languages are actually
getting some kind of positive attention from people in power. We're still
a long way away from that here in the far-eastern antipodes.

Just brainstorming, is all.

--
Aidan Wilson

The University of Sydney