please support Siraya reclamation

Chun Jimmy Huang huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Wed Mar 25 20:23:56 UTC 2009

Thank you very much Rolland. Hopefully we will be able to get some
real multilingual blog going on before taking the street on 5/2.

Jimmy

On Wed Mar 25 16:12:07 EDT 2009, Rolland Nadjiwon
<mikinakn at SHAW.CA> wrote:

> Thank, Jimmy, you for your response and acknowledging our
> history. Please address me by my first name also. I am never
> comfortable with such formal salutations.
>
> I can understand the problem with English...many of our people
> have the same experience. I always appreciated people who could
> not speak English or could not speak it well. As such, it clearly
> indicated to me there is hope for our independent and specific
> languages and cultures.
>
> It was not a matter of trust but a matter of content. I, really,
> would appreciate the opportunity to join my signature to your
> endeavor but, the page, as it is, I could not follow what I was
> doing. Please, regardless of fluency, try and have something in
> English. I  hesitate even at the suggestion to switch to English
> and its small but significant destruction of your intentions.
> However, I do have access to a number of contacts who, I am sure,
> would like to support your petition.
>
> -------
> wahjeh
> rolland nadjiwon
>

> Chun Jimmy Huang wrote:
>> Mr. Nadjiwon,
>>
>> Yes I have learnt about your history and its similarity to ours.
>> I am a Siraya native and the blog is also designed by Siraya
>> natives. We have temporary problem with English right now
>> because Chinese has become our first language (not unlike
>> English taking over yours). Our web team doesn't feel as
>> comfortable with English as I do...and I am not so good at web
>> design...
>>
>> I apologize for not being able to gain your full trust for
>> linguistic reasons. I would understand if you decide not to sign
>> it.
>>
>> sincerely,
>>
>> Jimmy

Chun (Jimmy) Huang
PhD candidate,
Linguistics, University of Florida
Linguistic consultant,
Tainan Ping-pu Siraya Culture Association