Siraya update

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 16 02:54:59 UTC 2009

Jimmy,

I am sorry I was not clear!  Our own Metis political leaders have privileged
one of our own traditional languages over others!  This is causing problems
for our own people!  This has been done for nation building purposes....
Somehow the leaders of our Metis National Council have bought into the
misguided idea of "one language, one nation"!  The Council seems to think it
is easier to deal with our Canadian federal government and international
bodies if we have only one "historic and official language".  I guess this
is because they think that in Canada all (?) indigenous peoples only have
one language (with one or more dialects)....  However, that is not the lived
reality of our people!  We have been multilingual since our ancestors
developed their own unique identity and developed into a nation.... (Being a
hybrid of European and Native peoples makes us a bit usual among indigenous
peoples--at least in North America at least!)  However, this insistence on
privileging one language over all others has been really divisive and
particularly painful for our Elders who are speakers of our languages....
Just for your information....

Heather