The Mad Logophile: Native American Words (fwd link)

Mon May 25 17:24:03 UTC 2009

The Mad Logophile: Native American Words

by Purple Priestess
Sun May 24, 2009 at 06:03:53 PM PDT

Welcome to The Mad Logophile. Here, we explore words; their origins, evolution,
usage. Words are alive; they are born, they change and, sometimes, they die.
They are our principal tool for communicating with one another. There are
millions of words yet only an estimated 171,476 words are in common current
use. As a logophile, I enjoy discovering new words, using them and learning
about their origins.

This week we have a look at native American words that we use all the time. Many
place names are Native American and we recognize most of those. But everyday
words with a NA source hide a little better...

Access full article below:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/5/24/734242/-The-Mad-Logophile:-Native-American-Words