Question on assessing technology for endangered language communities

Dan Harvey HarveyD at SOU.EDU
Sun Nov 1 18:53:34 UTC 2009

This is a topic that, as one engaged in technology, I've thought quite a bit about. Technology has its place, but it also has its limits. Technology cannot create fluent speakers or revitalize languages. This can only happen when children begin to consistently speak the languages in the homes, and when the languages are taught in immersive nests as the Hawaiians have successfully demonstrated. This is a serious issue because language and culture are intertwined; if the languages go, so will the culture.

Technology simply is a tool that one can either choose to use or not. To say that technology can revitalize language is like saying that a hammer can build a house. This being said, technology definitely has its place. When Phil digitized the wax recordings of a Chief Joseph speech, it connected the current generation to the past in a way that would not otherwise have been possible. Even the written systems themselves are a form of technology. Without the dictionary archives, many languages would already have been lost. The Internet, email, and mobile devices have the potential to connect people being separated by distance and give them the ability to communicate using indigenous languages should they use these things for that purpose. Language games and lessons distributed by CD, Web, and Smart phones offer ways to engage the youth.

Perhaps the question is framed incorrectly. Instead of evaluating whether technology has or has not been effective, a better way is to ask: can it contribute in a positive way, and what way might that be?

Thanks for listening, dan

>>> "s.t. bischoff" <bischoff.st at GMAIL.COM> 11/1/2009 8:15 AM >>>
Along perhaps a similar vein, I wonder if archival websites or online
dictionaries are being accessed. We've seen some great sights posted
recently on ILAT, is anyone keeping track of hits or usage?

Shannon