Question on assessing technology for endangered language communities

Dan Harvey HarveyD at SOU.EDU
Sun Nov 1 21:55:14 UTC 2009

Wahjeh: I am not sure what is the general policy of the forum, but you are free to use my statement any way you wish. I am honored that you see value in it.

Jim: the Miami success is inspirational; they have a great video available that documents how they did it.

dan

>>> <Jimrem at AOL.COM> 11/1/2009 12:16 PM >>>
>>Technology simply is a tool that one can either choose to use  or not. To
say that technology can revitalize language is like saying that a  hammer
can build a house.

I would agree, to a point.  While  a hammer cannot build a house it
certainly is a necessary tool.  It  all depends on what use the person or people
who want to learn their language  make use of available tools.  If you just
want to learn how to count  to ten and say "I love you" you will not become
fluent, but if the language is  available in written and audio form and you
devote yourself to learning you can  achieve a degree of fluency.

Perhaps one of the best examples of both reviving a language  and
dedication is the work being done by Daryl Baldwin of the Miami  Tribe.  He became
interested in his ancestral language,  Miami, over ten years ago.  He soon
discovered there were no longer  any fluent speakers of the language, and no
recordings had been made,  but it had been meticulously documented by
linguists over the years.  Of course linguists use an abundance of  technical
terminology, and Daryl found it necessary to take college courses in  linguistics
so he could master this language in order to learn  Miami.

Once he began to  learn Miami, he took the next step  and began using the
language with his four children.  Originally it was a part of a home
schooling project where nothing but  Miami was used for an hour or two  every day,
but it now serves as the common way to speak within the family.  The older
children pass the language on  to the younger ones and prefer this language
to English when they are among  themselves.  Daryl's wife, who is  not Miami,
is also learning the  language to support the family effort.
Several years ago I had occasion to visit  Daryl while working on an
interactive  Delaware language CD.  The oldest  Baldwin son was interested in the
project and I was  impressed with his pronunciation of  Delaware although he
had never  before heard it, and also his comments on the similarity of
Delaware and  Miami words.   Another linguist who has visited  the Baldwin
family was struck by hearing the youngest  daughter speaking Miami, a language
that has been without speakers for more than thirty years.
Jim Rementer
Lenape Language  Project