Question on assessing technology for endangered language communities

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 3 00:14:13 UTC 2009

 Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. As Garry points out,
"There certainly is much written and used with technology and second
language acquisition, so I see no reason why it would not be as effective
for language preservation and revitalization."

AND YET-- there is very little application of any recent SLA techniques,
methods, strategies and research aimed at revitalization contexts.
(particularly the latter -- research on second language learning in
revitalization contexts is rare ....) -- Without it, it seems to me,
communities will continue to struggle to find the best ways to teach
indigenous languages (with or without technology).

Susan