Question on assessing technology for endangered language communities

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Wed Nov 4 14:31:12 UTC 2009

Kweh Shannon
This could be an interesting study.
It might be helpful to define terms like "technology" too, because,
as it has been hinted at previously,even a pencil can be deemed technology.
My waterdrum and horn rattle could then of course be a form of technology
too.

I hope with a study like you suggest, there would be student voices *
(evidence)*
about what has brought *them* personally to fluency and which "technologies"
worked
to help them get there....assuming, of course, loving and dedicated
teachers!
It seems we already have brilliant and convincing arguments from
"outside-the-classroom
professionals" justifying years of painstaking, tedious, life consuming
work in front
of computer screens.

I assume, teachers working with students( as myself) *continually* want to
learn:

----what does a *successful* foundation for language/cultural development
look like?
----what *tried* methods actually work the best (for non-immersion and
immersion)?
----what *tried* techniques can be a waste of my time and students time?
----where is *evidence* to evaluate *usefulness* of all the cool
technologies available?

just some thoughts....
(and I know, I keep bringing discussion back to the actual classroom)

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte Oklahoma