Preserving tribal culture focus of national conference, from language to memories to science (fwd)

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Thu Oct 22 07:19:01 UTC 2009

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/10/preserving_tribal_culture.html

Preserving tribal culture focus of national conference, from language
to memories to science
By David Stabler, The Oregonian
October 20, 2009, 6:36PM

Torsten Kjellstrand, The Oregonian

Malissa Winthorn speaks with Phil Cash Cash during a lunch break. Cash
Cash spoke about his doctoral work as a linguist trying to understand
and preserve both the verbal and sign languages he grew up with on the
Umatilla Reservation.

~~

Malissa Minthorn  stands at the back of a cavernous ballroom in the
Red Lion Hotel on the River. Blue, yellow, silver and black beads
cascade over her shoulders in a dress that her grandmother wore to
weddings and funerals on the Umatilla Reservation.

Tuesday was opening day of a sold-out conference that has brought
together 550 people from around the country with one interest in
common: preserving tribal culture. As she looks over the packed room,
Minthorn herself personifies the theme of the conference.

"After this, I'm storing it away," she says, fingering her bright red
dress. "It's getting thin and fragile."

Preservation takes many forms, from a simple photograph to an entire
museum of artifacts. From a jumpy film showing Bitterroot Jim  telling
a bear story in sign language in 1932 to a mat house that the Wanapum
tribe had to relearn to build on the banks of the Columbia River.

Culture is complicated for Native Americans, and so is its
preservation. Without a record, some tribes left no trace. Passing
culture down through the generations gets more complicated by a
tradition of oral history that makes some elders suspicious of
recordings and photography.

The National Conference Tribal Archives, Libraries and Museums  is the
fourth national gathering to help preserve, archive, display and
perpetuate Native American culture. Hosts were the Oregon State
Library and Tamástslikt  Cultural Institute on the Umatilla
Reservation, near Pendleton. Speakers included library and language
experts and Russell Means,  the activist, actor and author, who led
the famous standoff at Wounded Knee, S.D., in 1973.

Libraries were a big presence at the conference. In an adjoining hall,
exhibitors offered ideas on storage and displays, creating audiovisual
labs and preserving images.

But protecting culture is not only about objects. In a time of Twitter
and other quick communication, tribes are seeking a deeper connection
to themselves, an appreciation of culture, the very DNA of who they
are. That connection often starts with language.

Of the 54 languages identified in the Pacific Northwest, many verge on
extinction. Only one speaker of the Wasco language is still living.
Forty speakers of Nez Perce remain. Linguist predict that within two
or three generations, no one will speak these languages.

The four-day conference, called "Streams of Language, Memory and
Lifeways," underscored the urgency to save tribal culture in all its
forms before it's too late.

"There are not enough words to give to tell you how important language
is to our sacred traditions," Phil Cash Cash  told the assembled group
at Tuesday's opening session. Cash Cash, a linguist who grew up on the
Umatilla Reservation, studies language in the Columbia River region.

Language is key to helping Native Americans live their culture, he
said. "Language follows basic laws of the culture and land and earth,"
he said. "It's urgent we all understand how vitally important it is
that language gets transferred to the younger generation."

Dallas Dick,  a photo archivist at the Tamástslikt Cultural Institute,
took Cash's message to heart. "I'm feeling guilty because I'm not
doing what I should be doing. We're losing it all, and I was one of
the bad kids that never listened. I learned all the bad words."

Signs of preservation were everywhere. In a hallway on the way to the
ballroom, attendees passed tables of necklaces, bracelets, earrings,
blankets and crafts.

Downstairs, in a session about the Wanapum, a small tribe that has
lived for thousands of years on the Columbia River north of the Tri-
Cities, Angela Buck,  director of the Wanapum Heritage Center,  talked
about her tribe's latest tool to preserve her culture: an RV. The
vehicle travels throughout the region to share displays and history
with native and non-native people. "We get around," she said. "We
talked to 29,000 people last year. That may not seem like a lot to
you, but it is to us."

In other efforts to protect the Wanapum culture, the river tribe
recently dug out canoes, made string from hemp and built a mat house
from the tule  plant, all projects new to them. The house was more
than they bargained for, a process of finding, gathering, drying,
tying and building that took months to complete.

"It was a huge project, overwhelming," said Rex Buck III,  who worked
on the house. "We can't undo things that happened, but those projects
fill the gap of who we are as a people."

The conference runs through Thursday.

--David Stabler