Yukon elder honoured for Tlingit language work (fwd link)

Wed Sep 9 16:07:41 UTC 2009

Yukon elder honoured for Tlingit language work

Last Updated: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 | 7:34 PM CT
CBC News
Canada

A Yukon elder received a national literacy award Tuesday for her work in keeping
the Tlingit aboriginal language alive in the territory.

In a ceremony Tuesday morning in Whitehorse, Emma Sam received a Council of the
Federation Literacy Award from Yukon Education Minister Patrick Rouble, on
behalf of Premier Dennis Fentie.

"I feel really good to be able to speak my language, and I wanted to make sure
that it did not fade away," Sam told CBC News before Tuesday's ceremony.

Access full article below:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2009/09/08/tlingit-award.html