the book discussion

Bernadette Santamaria bernisantamaria at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 21 17:07:56 UTC 2009

I agree with T. DeCoteau's assessment on whether to use subtitles--I've
taught Apache at the university level--English subtitles "interfere" with
teaching.  I found that students depend on them instead of learning the
words on their own with my oral-only presentations in class. They would
concentrate instead, on writing the word in Apache & English for their notes
& not be concentration on listening or pronouncing.

I switched to not writing the words on the board or anything but used only
immersion methods and got better results at end of semester. One thing in
our favor for Apache students from our tribe is that they still have
speakers all around them at various domains at our reservation--speakers of
ages 40 and over. Those under that age are less fluent but still do have a
higher percentage of fluent speakers among younger people than other
Indigenous groups, even some children but we know that we need to be
conducting language maintenance and revitalization programming too to avoid
further attrition of our language.

Just contributing my comments.....

Bernadette A. SantaMaria
Language/Cultura Consultant