Rosetta Stone Endangered Language Program Releases Navajo Language Software (fwd link)

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Wed Aug 25 23:02:20 UTC 2010

Thanks Mary, the cost estimates are very a nice picture of how such a
project might happen elsewhere.  I imagine such costs may not be
sustainable in smaller communities where you have a handful of
speakers and a much smaller population, say less than 5,000-3,000
overall.  Supporting networks like an active language program,
certified language teachers and tech capable language classrooms or
community hubs, and ideologically clarified speech community (positive
community acceptance of technological surrogate language learning) are
minimal thresholds.  Bigger communities achieve these soo easily.
Again, I imagine that the scale of this type of project in relation to
community capacities may be among the many issues to consider in
addition to the state of language documentation, etc..

Just a few more thoughts,
Phil