On silence

Rudy Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Dec 10 17:57:45 UTC 2010

Phil makes a good point -- silence is definitely a cultural thing.
See the discussion of this and many other culturally-relevant topics
in Muriel Saville-Troike - The Ethnography of Communication: An
Introduction, and Deborah Tannen & M. S-T (eds)- Perspectives on Silence.

Silence is particularly valued in Navajo and Apache cultures. Responding
to a question right away is considered rude, as it suggests one has not
taken time to think about it. People meeting after an absence do not
speak for a suitable time. Nancy Modiano told about a conference for
teachers in bilingual programs in Albuquerque some years ago, in which
attendance consisted of 65% Navajo, 15% Puebloan, and 20% Anglo. The
Anglo teachers talked 75% of the time, the Puebloan 15%, the Navajo 10%.

Rudy

Rudy Troike
Dept. of English
University of Arizona