suggestions anyone?

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Fri Dec 10 15:11:42 UTC 2010

Yes, you are quite right. What constitutes 'speech turns' varies enormously.
Remember the story in Wagner's book about the teenage boy in English and in
Haudenosaunee, where the English boy got all the attention, interrupting the
two women's conversation, and the Haudenosaunee teenage boy served but did
not interrupt his mother and her guest?  Remember the article in the Aymara
book that compared Aymara, Chinese and Cuban?  Aymara took turns with a lot
of silence between, Chinese with a little bit, and Cubans overtalked.
Cubans generally overtalk (and for them it is not interrupting -- it's like
having two conversations simultaneously -- and I could do that back then
myself, but not now).  Who speaks to whom and in what rhythm varies
enormously culture by culture and that includes children/adults and in what
role.  When I was a child I was scolded for greeting adults; when I got to
Perú I quickly noticed it was otherwise and behaved appropriately.  Another
young woman arrived and behaved like a gringa, and the adults were seriously
insulted -- she was trying 'not to interrupt'.  Discovering what is correct
may not be easy; in Field Methods, as you know, I teach students to think of
themselves as 2 year olds, and really funny -- grownups who can't even talk
as well as 2 year olds, so, learn to laugh *at* yourself and *with* others
so that you can learn and so that telling you that you are making a mistake
is not being discourteous (as is the case almost every place).  There is a
lot, a massive lot, of bad ethnography and linguistic info out there because
courtesy did not allow someone to say 'that's not right'. Creating a
situation where it is discourteous NOT to correct you has to be job of a
researcher, plus incorporating the notion that you are two intellectuals
with the same goal -- understanding a language/culture, two equals, the
inside voice and the outside voice.  And oh yes, silence.  One of my former
students, Polish, actually did a book on silence in language, the meaning
thereof, when and how it is used.

Now, I have gone on too long; you shouldn't have asked the question! (not
really, but I suspect that for those of this list, I'm only saying what
everybody knows).  I hope you are enjoying the work.

MJ